Be it a puppy or Kitten (Or a grown up dog or cat) ask yourself if you really love pets. It is a common phenomenon of human beings to instantly like these small creatures. They of course look cute, so think multiple times about this. Do you love them as a living being or is it just an attraction? - like getting attracted to a Ferrari car
2. Do you have time?
You are not bringing home a computer. This is something which has "LIFE" like you. It is mandatory that you spend time with them. If you don't have time then just forget this idea of raising a pet.
3. Do you have Space to accommodate them?
Don't tell me you have a carton and you can cut open 4 inches to ventilate it. Pet's need space! If you are already living in a Studio apartment - Cooking, Sleeping and Bathing in that one single room, then you need to move to better place to keep your pet happy and healthy.
4. Do you have money to feed and vaccinate them?
Pets cannot eat grass and drink water to survive. You gotta feed them. And these pet foods aren't cheap (unless and until you are determined to cook separately for your pet). They have different diets, so you have to provide what they like, or train them to eat what you like. They need vaccinations, medicines like how we need, so be ready to spend some money on all these.
5. Family's acceptance / Patience etc.,
- It will not work well if you cuddle your pet and your younger brother kicks it everyday. There should be acceptance from your family (In case you are in a family)
- You need to be patient when your pet bites your leather shoes, scratches your car or expensive Sofa, messes up your kitchen. They can be trained not to do all the above stated, but it takes time and you gotta be patient.
- There are some other arrangements required like Covering your open well, keeping the Indian toilet closed (My kitten have fallen inside both), Proper fencing - to keep other stronger animals away, Giving them bath etc, etc.,
There are so many other things, but I guess these five points will give you a high level idea about stuff you gotta be careful before bringing home a pet.
OK, I'm finishing,
Though all the above might sound as if Pet is a huge liability, it is NOT if you know the right answer for POINT 1. Pets don't cheat or pretend, they love you for who you are. They are great companions indeed.